A modern file explorer for Windows 7 and Windows 8
Note to visitors of www.julien-manici.com : this is a temporary web page. Full web site will return within a few days (server migration).
Immersive Explorer is an alternative to the default file explorer included in Windows (known as Windows Explorer). It is designed to provide an "immersive" experience to the user by focusing on the content rather than hiding it behind icons and large window chrome and borders. It allows the user to avoid opening different applications and switching between multiple windows when doing tasks as simple as viewing a picture, thanks to the built-in viewer.
Although it is not a Windows 8 "Metro application", Immersive Explorer is designed around the "Metro" user interface guidelines. It is optimized for tablets and computers with touch-screens, but it also offers a great experience for mouse/keyboard users (with features like scroll-to-zoom, keyboard navigation).
Immersive Explorer is based on Win32/.NET/WPF (Windows Presentation Foundation). It uses graphical hardware acceleration to display fluid animations and transitions, making it look more modern than the default Windows File Explorer. Note that it's not a complete replacement for the Windows Shell (it's just an alternative to the Windows Explorer) and it doesn't even need administrator rights to be installed.
As Immersive Explorer is not based on WinRT, it means that it can't run on Windows RT devices such as Surface RT (but it works great on Windows 8/8.1 tablets like Surface Pro).
- Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 Technical Preview.
- If you're using a tablet :
- At least an Intel Atom Bay Trail CPU (most tablets released with Windows 8.1).
- Also works with an Atom Clover Trail CPU (most tablets released with Windows 8.0) but doesn't run smoothly.
- If you're using a desktop/laptop : At least a Dual Core CPU (Core 2 Duo, Core i3/i5/i7, Athlon 64 X2, ...)
- At least 1 GB of RAM
- The .NET Framework 4.5 must be installed (it is already installed by default on Windows 8 and 8.1, but not on Windows 7)
Current version : 1.1.4 (released on 2014/04/10)