Windows 7 Logon Background Changer : Customize your welcome screen wallpaper
Windows 7 Logon Background Changer is a free open source software that let you change the wallpaper of the Windows 7 logon screen (also known as "welcome screen", "login screen" or LogonUI).
It works with Windows 7 Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate, Enterprise and Starter, in x86 or x64 (32 or 64 bits). It also works on Windows Server 2008 R2 (but you are not supposed to customize a server).
On a side note, this small program is WPF based, it's a nice technical demo of Windows Presentation Foundation capabilities for those interested in WPF. It requires a decent GPU for the 3D animations to run smoothly.
What does it do?
- It does NOT change any system file, and the program itself does not requires admin rights to run : it will just ask you to run as admin a very simple cmd file that creates the required folder and registry key with the appropriate rights. Any user of the computer will then be able to change the Windows 7 logon screen wallpaper. You can also prevent users from being able to change the logon screen wallpaper if you don't want them to be able to modify it without administrator rights (option available by clicking on the "Settings" button).
- It creates a few JPEG files based on the image you want to put as wallpaper for the Windows 7 login screen, applies the appropriate cropping and sizing and saves them using the best compression quality possible.
1321 comments - Add a commentDownload
On some computers, the following error message may appear :
"Unable to write to folder c:\windows\system32\oobe\info\backgrounds\".
Solution : Open the "c:\windows\system32\oobe\info\" folder in Windows Explorer, then rename the "backgrounds" folder as "backgrounds2".
|John C - 2015/01/23 01:51|
|I can\'t download this. My anti-virus is blocking the Download Manager. Is there a direct link to download from?|
|gx miao - 2015/01/22 08:01|
|Ed Corban - 2015/01/20 21:39|
|Windows 8.1 is great but your tool was the best. With your tool on windows 7 enterprise I was able to change the lock screen and when the company forced some lock screen for some initiative I still had mine.|
Hope that there is a solution for Windows 8.1 where the registry or the new C:\Program Data folder will overpower the policy!
|carl9005 - 2015/01/13 16:36|
|I can't seem to get picture to come up after I change the background folder to background2. When I click on photo, what do I do next?|
|Buff - 2015/01/16 22:22|
|Do as follows:|
1. click START and type REGEDIT in search bar
2. click on REGEDIT after it appears in results
3. Go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI\Background
4. Double click on "OEMBackground"
5. Change value to 1 if it is not already; it may have been set to 0 previously
6. Next, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System
7. Double click "UseOEMBackground" and set the value to 1 if it is not already
Note: You may have to create the "key", to do so Right-Click Anywhere on the right side window and click "New > DWORD (32-bit) Value." Name the key UseOEMBackground then double click the key like before and Change the value to 1.
8. Close REGEDIT window once completed; your done with that part.
NEXT, is selecting the picture to be displayed as logon / login / lock screen window background.
Selecting a picture that is not over 256
9. Place pic at C:\Windows\System32\oobe\info\backgrounds and name it backgroundDefault (.jpg format) ("backgroundDefault" is case sensative)
Picture size is important!!! If it is too big it will not display. If it is not the correct proportions to start with, it will be S-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-D...
No need to restart your computer; just hit the windows command key and L at the same time; it will bring up lock screen.
|VAISHAKPARAKKAL - 2015/01/19 17:50|
|perfect!!! thanks ..|
|Julien MANICI - 2015/01/13 19:25|
|After clicking on a photo, did you click on the "Apply" button (at the top right of the screen) ?|
|LexieSorcier - 2015/01/11 15:45|
|Thank you so much!! pretty easy to use and very effective!!!|